I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, January 19, 2015

Day Six- The Dear-God-Let-Me-Live-Through-Church New Eating Lifestyle

It's Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! It's also church day!

It's also icy. And raining. Ugh. I was hoping to walk to church this morning.

For us, church is a loooong day. I sing for communion each week (yes, it's every week here) and I also do bread ministry before service starts (wrapping donated bread for handing out after service).
Because I knew I wouldn't be eating for hours and hours, after breakfast around eightish I made my smoothie and took a good helping of celery sticks to hold me until we got home around twoish. That is a longish time to go without lunchish.

The hunger started around noon- right in the middle of service. Lucky for me smoothies aren't noisy, so I took a seat in the mini sanctuary (for the overflow of congregants on busy Sundays) and sipped it until it was gone. I waited until the service was almost over before starting in on the celery sticks. When services were over, we went out for a snack (called love feast) in the room where I set up the bread table and where the love feast people had also set up. I was sorely tempted when they had cupcakes put out, but I resisted and thought about my lunch of a huge chicken cobb salad when I got home. 


Someone came up to me in church whilst I was eyeballing the cupcakes and quipped "You can't have that." I turned to her and grinned. "Nope- it's not 'I can't have that'- it's 'That's not worth the calories!'"

I love it when God puts really good words in my mouth- instead of cupcakes!

And the tummy is happy, because I really enjoyed my salad!

My girlfriend wanted to go out with her girlfriends to an early dinner because her husband and sons were "going football" on her. So I'll be going out to a restaurant for the first time since I started this diet. I checked out the restaurant, and they have some yummy choices in my price and calorie range. YAY!

I never like restaurants with calorie counts on their menus before. Now I love them!
I stayed within my limits, and even though a bag of chips came with my order, I didn't eat them! For a chipoholic, that is a huge amount of restraint!

I got an exercise bike! A friend of mine heard that I wanted one (especially for icy/wet days like these) and wanted to get rid of hers, but didn't want to put her barely used bike in the trash, so she held on to it! Double YAY! So now I can do my regular exercise in-house when I can't get out, and I can probably go longer if I pop in a movie while the kids are at school- BONUS!


I have to say that usually by now, I'd have quit this diet thing at least twice. I've cheated, but I haven't quit- and that's really saying something for me!


Lessons I learned:
The "it's not worth it" not "I can't have that" thing is working. I seriously almost took those tastykake cupcakes off of that platter. I used to LOVE them, and my brains remember them well. They might taste differently to me now because I do a lot of home baking (and believe me, nothing processed tastes good now that I do stuff from scratch), but man, did I want to give those suckers a test run in my mouth!
But I also wanted to eat dinner. Dinner is a good thing. And this was before I realized my friend was serious about going out for dinner. So now I'm really glad I resisted!
I'm really proud of myself today!

No comments:

Post a Comment