I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, December 20, 2021

Year One, Week Thirteen: Who Said Thirteen Was Unlucky?

My mind is completely blown.

So much has happened this year, but not much concerning my weight loss. Week after week, I struggled with windows, exercise, and the food on my plate, trying everything under the sun and reading the FFR book to gain new insights on how to break this plateau.

Last month, I thought I'd finally broken the barrier and was on my way- at least until I saw the scale this month. Then, I was back behind the wall that weighed 326 pounds. So frustrating!

There was one thing I didn't do that I should've done. Talked to others who are taking the IF journey. I joined a Facebook group when I started, and they have been kind enough to allow me to share my posts. But when things got frustrating (and, to be honest, there was no progress at all), I decided to shut everyone out and tough this out on my own.

Part of it was shame; I started out so well! Part of it was because life became chaotic, and then after the move, we didn't have the internet for over six weeks. The isolation was voluntary during the former and involuntary during the latter.

After that, I simply didn't think to ask anyone for help.

But then I posted my blog last week, and someone decided to be bold and contact me.

Carin, the IF Facebook page owner, messaged me, letting me know that she understood my frustration and asked if she could do anything to help. I didn't want to tell her at first (she's maintaining, and I'm still way too big for my britches), but eventually, I opened up, and after a few critical questions from her, she realized why I'd been struggling for so long.

The funniest part is, she wasn't subtle about it- just like I am with my friends. I like that in people.

"Why are you hanging on to 4-6 hour eating windows?"

She wasn't being mean; she was incredulous. After all this time, she said I should have been down to two hours or less a day, which was probably why things weren't progressing.

I was dumbfounded. Because I'm still so big, I only did two hours or less during my OMADs. I was afraid of tanking my metabolism because I also have hypothyroidism.

"I suggest you do two-hour or fewer windows for the next 1-3 months. You definitely need to lessen the daily insulin to kick start your body into depletion mode."

Oh.

The next day, I did as she suggested. And the next, for the entire week. I thought it would be more challenging, but it was more manageable. I was also eating less because by the time the two-hour window closed, I wasn't hungry enough to eat anything significant, if at all. But I made sure that I didn't have two OMADs in a row. Starving myself wasn't the goal.

This morning, I stepped on the scale and was shocked to see a smaller number. A much smaller number.

I'd shattered my plateau. I squealed for joy like a kid at Christmas!

I won't share the actual number yet- I'm saving that for my monthly weigh-in. However, if things keep going this well, I'll be posting pics next month!

Thank you, Carin Joy, for your FB page and fantastic advice. You are a true friend!

1 comment:

  1. Beth,

    You're welcome. I’m so relieved to see this new blog post and you sound like you are in a much better place than last week. I’m glad that your body is responding so well and quickly to the shorter daily eating windows.
    
I’m also glad I did not come across mean last week when I asked why you have such long eating windows still. It’s always hard with text since you can’t hear tone of voice. Just to clarify, I’m NOT in maintenance yet. I think I might have another year of depletion left in my body before I get into maintenance.

    The thing that seems tricky still is your OMAD, or how to define OMAD. Most people get tripped up on how do you define OMAD, especially since it means something different to everyone. Is OMAD defined by eating window length or volume of food? That is the great and never ending debate.

    Till OMAD makes more sense in your CIF schedule, I’d suggest dropping the OMAD label for now. Just focus on all eating windows being 2 hours or less for a few months to see what results that brings to your body and mind.

    
I look forward to hearing your updates especially since your body responded so quickly to a shorter eating window. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete