I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, January 3, 2022

Year One, Week Fifteen: One Good Thing After Another

I learned a lot during Thanksgiving and Christmas. As a result, I was determined to do better.

We had a second Christmas with the family back in our old city neighborhood. However, it was a long drive and a big meal later in the evening. So, instead of blowing off the entire day and leaving my eating window open, I took something with me to eat during the latter part of our trip, so I wouldn't be overly hungry when dinner was made. 

It worked out great because dinner was delayed, and though my window was open longer than I intended, it wasn't much longer- about an hour longer than expected. And when dinner was served, I didn't binge.

As for the second good thing, today is my birthday!

Since we have no friends or family nearby, I told my husband to nix the cake, and make some homemade popcorn instead, so we can watch a movie together as a family in the afternoon, and I can include the popcorn as a special snack. He is also making me breakfast at lunchtime, and my window will only be an hour longer than usual, so I can also have a smaller meal- homemade stromboli. 

It's one good thing after another, and I'm re-learning that this is a lifestyle, not a temporary fad diet! Finally, all the ducks are lining up for success!


Sometimes I forget this is something I need to do for the rest of my life. I need to stop some bad habits I've developed- like feeling deprived when my family eats out of my designated eating window. They don't have to do what I do, and I need to get over myself and deal with it. 

There's no guilt, mind you, but there has been quite a bit of envy, and that needs to stop. 

IFing isn't a fad.

IFing is a mindset.

IFing, for me, is a lifetime commitment. If I don't stick to it, I don't lose weight. It's simple, really.

The proof will be on the measuring tape and the scale next week. I have a feeling I'll be posting pictures this time!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Beth!

    I love that it’s your birthday because that is one of my favorite CIF analogies for working on delaying and not feeling deprived when others are eating around you.

    When it is your birthday, people tell you happy birthday. When it’s someone else’s birthday you tell them happy birthday.

    Do you feel jealous if it’s their birthday and not yours? Nope. Because they get to celebrate their birthday when it is there birthday, and you get to celebrate your birthday when it’s your special day!

    Think of your eating window in much of the same way. You’re not depriving yourself of anything. You are just delaying your eating in order to keep your insulin levels lower for better health and so that you feel better and more energetic during your CIF hours.

    Another way to think about it is the restaurant analogy or the super market analogy. When you walk through a restaurant you can look around and see what other people are eating to see what looks good, but you don’t start picking food off of their plate.

    You sit down with the menu and you wait for your own meal to arrive just like we wait for our eating window to open at our designated times.

    Think of a supermarket. You don’t eat everything in your cart at that moment or even in one day. We buy food and then delay it till it’s designated mealtime and you buy groceries to last for numerous days. Just because you see food doesn’t mean you eat it right then and there. Think of your eating window in the same way.

    So what to do instead? Arm yourself with a nice clean Fasting beverage, an unflavored black coffee, black or green tea, plain mineral water or just some plain water.

    Instead of focusing on the food your family is eating, focus on the quality family time, what your children are saying and find other enjoying aspects of meals that don’t include you physically eating. You can enjoy the party and the social aspects of meals without having a party in your mouth.

    During cold months, try a mug of warm water with a pinch of Redmonds salt when your family is having a meal. The warmth and minerals trick your body into thinking you ate. And a pinch of Redmonds in warm water is almost like having a soothing mug of light broth but Redmonds Salt does not break your fast. This trick might help you over the mealtime hurdle till mealtimes get easier.

    You’re doing great! Keep this positive outlook and you will be amazed!

    Car-in

    ReplyDelete