I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, January 24, 2022

Year One, Week Eighteen: Being Flexible While Staying On Track

Monkey wrenches have a terrible habit of showing up unexpectedly. This week, one was thrown in our direction when my husband severely sprained his ankle on the ice.

He was getting the van in our garage across the yard right after a big snowstorm. The entire yard was a sheet of hard, crusty ice, with a light covering of snow on top.

Snap, crackle, POP! And down he went. I had no clue until he returned to the house, asking me to get our daughter from work instead. He sat down with a wince, and I went the long way around via the cleared gravel pathway that surrounds our yard. 

I have no idea why he chose the shortcut, but now he is down for the next few weeks.

This incident made me grateful for a few things. One, that my husband didn't break his foot, Two, that the roads were clear enough to get her without issues, and Three, that my IF windows are flexible because I usually open my window when he is out fetching our daughter from work.

Unfortunately, her workday begins before dawn and ends right around lunchtime- my standard eating window opening. So now I'm up before 4am and don't eat until 2pm. That's a long day before eating! I'd eat beforehand, but her schedules' ending times vary, so it's hard to plan a window when she might call me any minute for a pickup. It's easier and harder to just eat after I get her from work.

Since we're all early risers, my poor, gimpy husband needs sustenance early in the mornings and sometimes late mornings as well, and I wind up cooking all kinds of yummy things I can smell but not taste until the afternoon. 

Not gonna lie- some days it's hard! My stomach thinks all that yumminess is for it, and when it just gets water, it gets hangry. Like, 'I'm going to growl like a grizzly and gnaw on your spine until you feed me' hangry. 

But I persevered. I stayed flexible while remaining on track!

The only problem I had was overeating when my window opened. I was getting overly hungry by the time I came home and prepared myself something to eat. Unfortunately, I can't change the schedule, so I'll just gnaw my water glass until things get back to normal- whenever that is. 

Is anything normal anymore? I think not!

The menu is in my hands since our regular chef is gimpy. Lots of soups and casseroles this week! I've also been storing single-serving meals in the freezer, so we'll be eating a wide variety until he's back on his feet- literally. 

It's time to get creative because I want to use what we have in the house and avoid shopping as much as possible- the roads are still a mess up here in the mountains!


No comments:

Post a Comment