I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, August 31, 2015

Week Thirty-Three: The Dear-God-I-Am-Not-Wonder-Woman New Eating Lifestyle

 Life just got interesting. So interesting I need a time machine or that time-mover-thingie Hermione had that allowed her to attend two classes at once. Maybe two of them.

My new job keeps me in a sitting position for a good five hours. My writing job is a sitting job. Paperwork for running a house is a sitting job. So is cooking; when I'm cutting veggies and meat, I'm usually at my dining room table (because my kitchen is small, it's hard to stand at the tiny counter and not get knocked over). 
In other words, most of my day is spent on my duff. I need to get to the gym regularly. But by the time I find some time, the day is almost over.

Where did the time go?

I sat down and made a mock-up of my day, allotting 168 hours a week. Even I was surprised at how little time I had to do anything but work. Driving work. Housework. Writing work. Homemaker work. There's a difference between housework and Homemaker work. Housework is cleaning, Homemaker work involves wife and mom stuff, a lot of paperwork and errands including appointment making and keeping, as well as budgeting and food shopping. 

I need a time machine- and an at-home gym. And an attachment to the house to put them in. Sigh.

I went to the gym once last week. Once. Had a great workout, but was a starved Tasmanian Devil by the time I got home. My kids and the cats hid from me until I got something to eat.

To lose weight, I need to eat good food, less of it, and exercise. Two out of three won't cut it anymore. 

I'm maintaining. That's good for now, but I can't be this weight forever. I don't want to be this weight forever! 

Now it's a matter of balancing work, home, and writing- not an easy task. That's like juggling a bowling ball, and egg, and an elephant blindfolded. Wonder-Woman I ain't. And she doesn't even have kids! So why am I trying to do everything?

Lessons Learned:

I am not Wonder Woman. I need to do a lot, but I don't have to do everything.

Have the kids help make dinner. They need to learn to cook anyway- and it saves time too!

Make a list (yes another one!) for the kids concerning chores and dinner prep. They can do a few things after school to help out more.

Schedule gym time. If you don't, you'll never get there.

Schedule breaks in the day. At least one. Burning out is not going to anyone any good.

Tweak work hours. The job is flexible- take advantage of that.

Pack breakfast and a snack. One or the other just won't do anymore- especially if you're going to the gym right after work.


No, I'm not Wonder Woman. I need time to breathe as well as drive, write, and manage a household. I've been tweaking the schedule for weeks now, but until I actually put the hours on paper, it never dawned on me just how much I was doing- and not doing. 
I also need to be listening to God. I'm reading a great book called The Best Yes, and though I'm only half way through it, it's already helped me get my ducks in a row, instead of working with a handful of feathers and duck-poo.

Wonder Woman and duck-poo. Not the kind of life I'd envisioned for myself. 

The weight loss is maintained, but I need to step it up if I'm going to get thinner. Anyone want a used lasso and an American-themed bodysuit?


No comments:

Post a Comment