I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On the Downhill Run

No, I haven't been running (it's too dangerous for me and the passers by to be doing that yet), but I have been going downhill- in weight, that is!

I stepped on the scale and it told me I am 305- that's a pound and a half down, folks!

This week I spent some grocery money on greens. Nice, dark greens like spinach and romaine lettuce, as well as mixed greens. Good stuff, if a little bitter at times. I have to find out which particular green is responsible for that. Bleah.

Lunches consisted of turkey salad on greens, and we did wraps twice this week stuffed with it too. Did you know you can feed a family of four with a single chicken breast? We are usually big eaters here (especially my 13 year old son, who is now taller than me), but I've never thought we'd be satisfied with a quarter breast each. We might have wraps more often! It certainly stretched the meat a lot more- And I had enough chicken leftover for another meal because I'd made two breasts!

But that's really the point, isn't it? To eat when satisfied, not when the plate is empty. My daughter didn't even finish hers, and I didn't make her either. 'Finish your food' was a mantra many moms chanted when we were kids, and our plates were always filled near adult-size portions. I try not to do that with my kids, and she hardly ever finishes off her plate. My son, however, can finish it off, have seconds, and then eat the plate, and part of the table if I let him! I'm learning that I need to feed him more for his survival, but two helpings is his limit. He's got a lot of muscle and very little fat, so I know he's burning it off, just like his dad. Darn it all....they have metabolisms like rabbits on sugar!

Part of me is glad that the freezer died. I've learned to cook with less, to stretch out the meals, and that salad/greens with a meal will fill you up. My son is still a veggieholic, but he's the only one. the rest of us like seeing salad and veggies on our plates, and I intend to keep it that way!

Vegetables stretch just as much as starchy stuff- it just costs a bit more. But the trade is totally worth it! I've cut down on potatoes and rice (just a little) and have also realized that I need to cut down on sugar as well. Not cut out, not switch to artificial sweeteners (have you seen the chemicals in those? Most are other forms of sugar!), but just have less. The real thing is always better than the processed stuff!

I'm also doing more cardio. I went to the pool with the kids last week, and it was awesome! I had a great workout (especially when my son was trying to catch me), and I took walks in the park with my family during the week. Not only was this great for me, but we had time away from our hectic world for a while. This is the stuff our kids will remember us by, not me letting them play the computer!

I will keep you posted of my progress- I hope to be closer to 300 by next week!

God bless, and I hope to hear of your successes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment