I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, February 1, 2021

Week Nineteen: Forgotten Celebrations

Remember when I said I was going to behave myself this weekend?

I forgot that there were a few celebrations coming up at the end of the week- and on the weekend. Oops.

Saturday my daughter was taking the journey back to college in New Hampshire. A far walk, but luckily for us it was a short flight, not a long drive- especially when there was a winter storm warning coming on Sunday. We decided to celebrate her going back by getting take out- we live in Philadelphia, cheesesteak capitol of the Universe, so cheesesteaks were ordered, along with pizza, stromboli, and fries. 

Good news- I ate a little of what I wanted. Bad news- the food came late so I had a little something before the food got there. Like, thirty minutes before it got there. I ate too much and felt bloaty. Ugh.

We had to take her to the airport early the next morning: my son decided to get up early and make breakfast for all of us. Sweet kid! No, I didn't eat at this time, so he saved the rest of the for my breakfast- and their lunchtime. After we dropped her off (and after a lot of hugging), my husband and I went on a few errands before going home. 

I was really hungry when we arrived at the house, and immediately checked the fridge for my Friday night leftovers. I was in the middle of toaster oven heaven when my son piped up "Hey Mom, are you eating the breakfast I'd made?"

Oopsy number two. I forgot. So I took out the breakfast he'd made and made a breakfast bowl out of it in the microwave. Beep! It was done in under two minutes. I had just put the fork to my lips when I'd heard a second Beep! That fast I'd forgotten about my yummy Friday leftovers. 

Want to know what the funny thing was? Earlier that week, I'd planned on eating a cobb salad on Saturday. But noooo, instead I ate breakfast and lunch in the same meal, and was mad at myself. Reheated cheesesteak is a bit dry, but re-RE-heated cheesesteak is inedible. So not being one to toss out good food, I ate it. 

Sigh.

I could still salvage the weekend...right? Sunday can be redeeming in more than just one way- at least that was the plan.

Until my husband told me a friend was coming over and we were celebrating his birthday. Triple oops. Forgot this too. I kept thinking it was going to happen next week. My husband, the chef, was making a special cake for him, and that sucker smelled awesome in the oven. Homemade vanilla sponge cake, with a homemade orange cream icing, along with a homemade berry drizzle?

You're kidding, right? I was definitely having some of that cake! I had a small piece after a simple dinner of soup and sandwiches...not too bad...right? Did I also mention I was reminded of the birthday cake after I'd had a breakfast of leftover pizza?

Egad- my mind is like a steel trap- rusted shut.

Image by diapicard from Pixabay 

(this is not a pic of that cake btw...I also forgot to take pictures!)

One more thing I'd forgotten as well- that I have only one more week before I weigh myself. One. I thought I had two. I think this was the first time I actually felt guilty since I started this IFing!

However, this is a new week. The Friday night food is gone. I have good, healthy leftovers in the fridge, including two soups and the makings of several cobb salads. And because of the winter storm (which is still going on), I'm taking the day off from deliveries. You know what that means, don't you?

I'm alone.

In a house with an overstuffed fridge.

With the vestiges of my guilt about my feet.

Wait...the guilt is at my feet? Not on my heart? In my bones? Fluttering in my stomach?

Nope. That was yesterday. This is today.

Yes, today I feel fat. I feel bloated. I am alone in my house with good food, leftover cake and potato chips. I could pig out. I could forget everything I've learned, say "Forget this too!" and break out the mini food shovels, open the fridge, and go for it.

But I'm not going to.

What I am going to do is find out what's going on in my own household, and sync my schedule with my husbands' so I don't have this issue again. Next weekend we are celebrating my sons' birthday, so I know what's coming and I can prepare.

Preparation is half the battle.

I need to food prep for my salads, but I won't do it until my window is open. I don't even want to go downstairs to the first floor yet, because I know what will tempt me. Plenty to do up here on the second floor- including this blog post!

In just a few hours I can take my time prepping and eating what I choose, savor every bit, and find a good book to read until my family gets home. Maybe I'll even read Fast, Feast, Repeat again in certain places, just to refresh what counts for my memory these days.

Maybe I should write a book called Provide, Prepare, Prevent!

If you've fallen off the IF train, don't let guilt ruin the IF ride- toss it by the side of the road, pull up those pants, cinch that belt and get back on that train! 



No comments:

Post a Comment