I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Week Thirteen: The Dear-God-It's-Time-To-Reevaluate New Eating Lifestyle

Since my weight loss is leveling off at about a pound a week, my nutritionist and I are stepping things up. Since I didn't want a cut in the calories, we're going the way of extra exercises instead. And if this doesn't work, she will cut my calories. So I better get good, quick.

I also think I underestimated my intake, because I've been guesstimating cups and half cup servings. So I started using actual measuring cups to dole out my portions.

What I found was interesting.

I thought meat was heavier, so when I took out my little food scale, I could have more meat than I thought! I wasn't off by much, but it made me happy that I underestimated my meat intake. I love meat!

I was overestimating the side dishes by a tablespoon or two, but that's okay concerning veggies. However, carby stuff like pasta, potatoes and rice is not good to overestimate- you'd be surprised how many calories that adds up to at the end of the month!

After reevaluating my portions, I wasn't too far off the mark, but still off. That accounts for a little drag on the weight loss. That means I have to step up the exercise. Darn!

In addition to my 40 minute exercise bike workout, I need to do at least 30-60 minutes of other activity too- the more vigorous, the better. On nice days I can walk, bike (a real one this time), or do yard work. But what about the rainy days? For me, housework is never fun, but then it's never done either, so there's always something to do. Maybe not vigorous, but active, and that's what I'm shooting for- I just have to work longer. Yay.

Right now, mopping the floor tops the list. Then there's closets to organize, carpets to vacuum, and counters to be scrubbed. In a house with two teens and three cats, I'll never run out of things to do!

And when I need to rest? That's where the writing and crafting comes in. I figure if I can do thirty minutes at a time exercising, work a little at my desk or crafting table for a bit, then repeat, I can get a lot more done than trying to do housework for two hours then collapse on the couch. I do better staggering the work- at least at this point.

Planning menus for the week is also helpful, so I don't slap together something at the last minute- usually something carby and not veggie-dense. So one one of those "sit-down" times, I can search through my cookbooks and find good meals to make.

Right now, soup is my best friend. Low calorie, full of good veggies and meat, and filling. Some of my recipes allow me to have a whole quart of the stuff if I wanted! Not many, but if I'm feeling hungry, these fill me up- even if the bulk of it is broth. Yes, the lower calorie ones have a lot of clear, tasty broth. Totally yummy!

I was weighed in on Friday and for the first time in ages I'm under three hundred pounds! I'm now a svelte 297- Yay me! The exercise and reevaluation really did the trick- and I don't have to cut calories! 

That's a total weight loss of 38 pounds- how awesome is that? I can now wear a shirt I've been saving that was very snug- so cool!

This weekend I didn't exercise and I went about 200 over on my intake, so that needs work- but I'm back on the bike and working in the garden today!

Lessons learned:

Exercise every day, not just during the week.

Planning menus works.

Try to schedule some family activities on the weekends and in the evenings in late spring to early autumn.

Every once in a while recheck those food measurements!

Find more active things to do in the house for rainy days.

Play music when housecleaning- it makes the work more fun!

1 comment:

  1. I have missed the last could of installments, But I am so glad you are keeping it going! Congrats of making goal #1

    ReplyDelete