I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, February 2, 2015

Week Three: The Dear-God-I-Made-It-Through-the-Superbowl New Eating Lifestyle

It's getting easier to figure out these calorie guesstimates, but sometimes I tend to cheat on the amount of food by a few ounces- especially if I'm doing particularly well!

I'm going to work on being better without measuring every morsel. I don't want food to be my main focus, even though I had to focus on it for the first two weeks.

Food can rule your life in many ways- by using it for comfort (like I do), but also using it as a way to distract from the real world (like when you're dieting.) I don't think anyone wants to be that focused all the time.

I also need to step up the exercising. Mornings are better for me, and I'm better off doing it all at once instead of trying to do half now and half later. I always seem to forget to do the other half in the afternoon!
I'm also finding small issues with the tension on the bike- there doesn't seem to be much difference from the hardest setting to the easiest. Going to have to look at the manual on this one.

It feels really good to see I'm staying within the caloric parameters and not feel deprived- because I can choose any foods I want. Bread and pasta are delicious but are much farther down the list because they seem like empty calories now. Meat, veggies and fruit have moved into the top three spots, with homemade lightly sweet iced tea coming in a close fourth.

Oddly enough, I've gained more confidence in myself with this new eating lifestyle because I'm succeeding!

Later in the week....

It was a little harder to keep the calorie count up because I'm feeling sick. Part of it was because my husband was sick all this week (and a six hour ER visit from 9pm to 3am didn't help), so I feel drained and I don't want to eat much- or exercise. However, it is nice to use those extra calories to munch on a couple handfuls of popcorn while watching a movie with my husband!

Soups seem to be the best way to save on calories, as long as the broth is clear. Although when you're sick, you could drink a gallon of the stuff and still have a ton of calories left over. I'm still going to register everything I eat, but I'm not going to worry if I don't reach the 1500 range- at least until I feel better. In the mean time I'll do soups, smoothies and maybe some eggs for breakfast.

It's Superbowl Sunday weekend, so I'm saving my calories for the big game. We have a gathering at our church, and I expect all kinds of savory goodies will be there. I hope I remember to get on the bike and exercise so I can have a few more calories!

I went to church and one family was bombarded by churchgoers after service. I went to see what all the hubbub was about, and here they were selling girl scout cookies. To be honest, I'm not a fan since I home bake- but since I haven't been baking, I decided to give them a try. I bought one box each of Lemonade and Thanks-a-Lot- shortbread cookies that have  either chocolate or lemony chocolate bottoms. I ate one of each. Not bad, but I'd go for the Lemonade ones next time- the chocolate ones were too thin on the chocolate!
And at 75 calories a cookie, I won't be eating them unless I'm desperate!

After the game...
I ate too much, but I enjoyed myself thoroughly! I wish I had gone on the bike though- that would have given me a few more calories to fend off, but I think I did fairly well for what was offered. I had chili and a turkey hoagie (some call it a sub, but we here in Philly don't!) and a four Doritos- that's right- four. For  chipoholic, that's real restraint!

All in all, this entire week was good, but could have been better. I ate more junky foods, but only to the point of satisfaction. I forgot to make smoothies most of the week, and should have had more salads, but I felt a little tired of all the veggies. I'll work on expanding the menus and recipes in the coming weeks so I don't backslide- though I have kept true to the "is it worth the calories" mentality- sometimes you just gotta have a cookie or a hoagie!

No comments:

Post a Comment