I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, February 9, 2015

Week Four: The Dear-God-I-Messed-Up-Again New Eating Lifestyle

This has been a rough week.

Not because I was starving (because I wasn't), or because I craved a certain 'bad food' (because I didn't), but because of all the celebratory stuff happening this week.

Sunday was the Superbowl. I ate too much but planned for it, so I stayed (mostly) within my calorie range.

Sunday was also the day I bought my very first box of Girl Scout cookies (okay, I bought two). Most of them are still surviving on the snack shelf in my kitchen. Most of them.

Tuesday was my son's 17th birthday. I wasn't planning on much because we're doing a simple party for him and a few of his friends on Saturday. But my son came home and asked if we were doing anything special. He looked disappointed when I said no.

I'm not a bad mom, really- we had a ton of yummy leftovers in the fridge, so it made no sense to cook, and I was going all out on Saturday with homemade pizza and a scratch made chocolate cake with chocolate frosting- his favorite. But that look of disappointment broke my heart and I called my husband before he came home from work, so he could pick up something special for dinner.

Dinner was cheesesteaks and fries (yes, for us this is considered special!), and then we went out for dessert. I ate the former, but not the latter, and had a small bowl of chili instead (though I did have a few bites of the enormous piece of chocolate cake my son ordered!) I didn't need the chili, but my husband kept insisting I have something.

I blew my calorie count out of the water. And I didn't exercise that day either.

But I didn't berate myself. I still had some yummy leftovers that are low in calories and lots of salad stuff, so there was no reason not to behave the rest of this week- and exercise more.

I had to take my husband to the docs again, and managed to sneak onto the scale- I lost another 2.5 pounds! (Five pounds total.) I would have celebrated right there and then, but the nurse and the doctor (who had never seen us before) both assumed I was my husband's mother, and he was in college. Not sure how to take that. I just hope losing weight will make me look younger and not wrinkly like a Shar-pei.

Friday was prep day for my son's birthday party. I made fresh pizza dough, raspberry iced tea and a homemade chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. The best part is I never eat when I'm making food- the bad part is I usually eat the food the day after I make it. I'm planning on sending a lot of the cake home with his friends. I don't expect the pizza to survive though!

Surprise, surprise! My mother-in-law wanted to take us all out to a Chinese buffet. I love Chinese buffet! Deep breaths...behave...behave....I had a plate of meat and veggies, then had a second plate of fruit. All in all good choices, though I know I blew my calorie count out of the water- I can't even calculate this on my chart because of the mass variety of food I ate!

Guess what? MyFitnessPal did have a button for Chinese buffet. Ugh. Two-thirds of my total calorie count for the day. Definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Saturday was my son's party. Two friends came, and one brought his own food due to dietary constraints. I made three homemade pizzas, and they were less calories than I thought! I didn't indulge in the cake though- homemade chocolate pound cake with chocolate chips and a homemade chocolate cream cheese icing. I knew better than to eat that- though I did dip my finger in the frosting once or twice! So not worth the calories- though if someone cut themselves a piece later, I might ask for a bite. One.

I took my little packet of cucumber with me to church on Sunday and indulged in a half of a ham and cheese sandwich at love feast. I had a light breakfast and a small lunch. So far, so good. Dinner will be light as well to make up for the overindulging this week, but I'm not feeling well, so the bike might be out for today.

I had a tiny, small, infinitesimal piece of his birthday cake. It was good, but after the first two bites, not worth the calories. Next time I take the one bite I mentioned earlier, instead of a whole piece- as small as it was.

Lessons learned: 

Carby, non-veggie stuff does tend to make me hungrier. 
Because I didn't make snacks ahead of time, I would up skipping snacks or having something not-so-good instead. 
Skipping snacks made me eat more at mealtimes.
Several times this week I ate past my satisfaction point. Satisfaction point means almost full, but not truly "hungry" anymore. Especially at the buffet- I wanted my money's worth. It's a good idea not to go to buffets in the future.
I need to get on the bike in the morning or early afternoon or I just won't get on the dang thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment