I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, June 1, 2015

Week Twenty: The Dear-God-I'm-Tired-And-Hot New Eating Lifestyle

This was a hard week.

Thunderstorms ripped through the area in unexpected spurts, and the temperatures were in the nineties. I'm not one to blossom in heat and humidity- me and Jabba the Hutt had something in common this week. I barely moved from my desk or the couch. Bleah.

I can feel my muscles atrophying as we speak- they cry "I want to go walk! I want to ride a bike!" and my brain cries out "Are you nuts? It's a million degrees outside and threatening rain! Go sit down and be quiet!" 

Now I'm paying the price. 

Less activity means I get bored. I get bored, I eat. I eat too much, I gain weight. And since I just got weighed and don;t own a scale yet, I can't really tell if I truly gained or if it's just in my head.

It also doesn't help that I forgot I had lettuce in the fridge and it was bad by the time I remembered. So much for salads until I get my Jabba the Butt to the store.

Good thing I do have enough veggies and fruit to snack on that if I do graze, the calories won't be bad ones.

It's times like these when I miss my exercise bike the most. I hate even blinking too much in hot and humid weather! I melt faster than butter in a hot fry pan. Ugh!

It also doesn't help that the hot flashes are back with a vengeance. I had a series of them last night, and scooted to the edge of the couch just to get my steaming body under the air of the ceiling fan. My daughter touched my back, and pulled her hand back like she was burned. "Wow, Mom- you really are hot!" No kidding- I think I left singe marks on the cushion.

The only consolation I had was that I was sweating like a race horse without having to lift a finger. Water loss still counts! At least until you drink a gallon of cold water to stifle the heat you're exuding. Oh well. I was thinner for a little while anyway.

I think we need a book like Goodnight Moon for women. Hello legs, hello knees, let's walk and feel the breeze! Hello hormones overworked, making me act like a jerk. Hello sweat upon my skin, hello puddle that I'm in...oh yeah- pure poetry.

This week will be better. It has to be. I still have veggies in the fridge!

Lessons learned:

Get AC units installed before the hot weather hits- or buy more mops.

Fans, spray bottles filled with cool water, and AC are your friends during a heat wave- and you can do housework without fainting.

Always check the lettuce before going shopping.

Get fireproof furniture coverings.

Laugh through the hard weeks and celebrate the easy weeks.

Weather reports are important. Plan exercise around the weather. Don't exercise in the heat- early morning and after dinner are good times to work out in the summer. 

If you just can't seem to cool down, get an almost cold shower, turning down the temp as you get used to it. No cold shock, and it helps ease hot flashes and core temperatures. Air dry under a fan for condensation cooling afterwards. 


This was a rough week. But I'll make it through, even if I have to be under the shower ten times a day. Sure I'll look like a big pink raisin when I'm done, but at least I won't be a hot sweaty mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment