I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Week Twenty Six: The Dear-God-I-Need-To-Reboot New Eating Lifestyle

It's been twenty-six weeks. 
Six months. 
One half-year since I started this eating lifestyle. I've had great success, and I've had utter failures. But each time I got up and kicked Fat's proverbial butt. 

But the past few weeks have been a struggle.

I thought I had the food thing conquered. But I became overconfident and started eating when stressed, and eating socially with the family at night. I also got addicted to animal crackers- those things are so good! Not so good if you're eating several handfuls before bed. 

The funny thing is, I wasn't like this before I started this new eating plan! So why now? Because I've reached a plateau and my habits have changed. Even the bad ones.

It's time for a reboot.

Yep, I'm going to start from square one- actually more like square four, since I don't have to learn from the start and I'm doing exercises regularly now. I also need to promise myself to not eat the rest of those darn animal crackers! 

One of the problems is my exercise schedule upsets the breakfast schedule. I usually don't like to eat until 9am,- but since I started going to the gym, that's been a problem. I work out after I drop my husband off to work at 6am, and by the time I get home from the gym, it's another 1-2 hours before I eat. Then I get too hungry and eat too much.

Last week I worked out four days in a row. Friday I could barely move. I was useless over the weekend because everything hurt. Too much too soon, woman! So I ate more simply because I wasn't as mobile. 
This morning, however, I did three things- the bike, the arm curls (for the triceps- otherwise known as Batwing arms), and the treadmill. I was tired, but felt really good!

I came home from the workout and ate a banana. Hunger sated, and I can now relax and make breakfast at my regular time. Why don't I just eat breakfast when I get home? Two reasons; One, I'm lazy and bananas or any other fruit is just easier to pick up and eat, and Two, I'm tired from the workout and don't feel like cooking that early in the morning. 
Oh, and one more reason- eating a late breakfast allows me to space out my meals evenly, so there's no huge gap in between meals to encourage grazing.

Six months is a perfect time to reboot, because my body is changing as well as my schedule. The tactics I've been using don't work anymore; food and workouts need to be tweaked for better (and steadier) weight loss. I don't want to be on this plateau any longer!

The best part? It feels good to know I have changes to make. I've been feeling in a rut lately, and that can bring on those bad eating habits- and it did. But now I have a better perspective on what I'm capable of, and a better sense of my shortcomings, so I can better guard against them in the edible future. I really am fighting fat!

Lessons Learned: 

Just because something works in the beginning doesn't mean it will work through the entire process. Tweak and make new goals.

If possible, get rid of or reduce contact involving stressful projects, events, or people. It's okay to say no!

Don't bring any more dadgum animal crackers in the house. I should never have bought the big jar!

Want to eat socially? Eat those veggies you cut instead of crackers and cheese or cookies- even if they are yummy and animal-shaped.

Don't overdo it in the gym. Hurting all weekend because you didn't take it slow doesn't help you- or anyone else around you.


It was a very educational week. I'm really trying hard not to slip back into old habits, and to stop telling myself "the heck with it" when I want to eat more than I should. Self-discipline has always been hard for me, but I want this weight gone, and it won't leave on it's own! It likes me, and I have to kick it to the curb because it hasn't paid rent since it got here. 

You might be struggling like I am now. Maybe you lost some weight, and thought the road should be easier; maybe for a time it was. But our bodies adjust and the things that used to work don't work as well anymore, and I'm here to tell you that's a good thing- because that means you're making progress!

Tweak your eating and exercise. Go a little longer, Snack a little better. The weight will come off if you do. And you'll feel better knowing you're on your way to being a happier, healthier you!

No comments:

Post a Comment