I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, July 6, 2015

Week Twenty Five: The Dear-God-Working-And-Working-Out-Ain't-Easy New Eating Lifestyle

It's been a crazy busy week!

The Good: I had several driving jobs. I spent the 4th of July painting faces (yes the entire day- in a nine hour stretch, I was painting for almost seven of them!) I sewed. I cleaned. I managed to get a lot done. 

That day of face painting was great calorie-wise, because I didn't have the chance to eat any fair food. I didn't have time- my husband brought me something because we only lived a few blocks from the event. I even managed to behave (sorta) at the picnic afterwards! I ate more meat than anything else, but at least it wasn't the really bad stuff, like cake and other goodies.

The Bad: Because my schedule ran amok, I didn't eat a lot of salad. I didn't prep my veggies the way I should have either, though I had time if I had gottten off the internet. Many a veggie could have been salvaged and eaten had I just turned off the computer. But I was tired, and lazy, and I didn't do it.

Just keeping it real here, folks.

The Ugly: No exercise. None. Nada. Except for the 4th, I didn't do squat. And it took me a day just to recuperate from it. Ever hold you arms in an awkward position for seven hours straight? Best resistance training ever! And sitting spread-kneed whilst bending forward to paint faces does wonders for the thighs, knees and back. I was walking like and three-hundred year-old lady by the time we had to break down and leave the grounds.

Trust me, it wasn't pretty! I was happy with the calorie burn though- a good thirteen hundred calories (and some decent fundage) made the day worth it.

This morning after dropping off my husband at work, I went to the local gym to see what programs were available. I have enough regular work now that going to the gym would be worth the cost. Twenty bucks a month will also allow me to bring a guest- so I can incorporate my family into working out as well! 
When I can I'll bring in my daughter in the morning, and my husband after work- when he's up to it. That way he can walk and not wear himself to a thread to build up his stamina again. I'm not so sure about my son though- he's a night owl, and by the time he's cognizant, my energy levels are drained. But I'll try!

I want to start at least three times a week after I drop my husband off, and see where I go from there, tweaking things along the way. This might be the best way to get everyone healthier and more active!

Lessons learned:

Too much time on the computer can lead to eating the wrong things. Take time out before turning the computer on to prep those veggies!

Exercise can be done for free, but if a gym is more motivating (especially when you're menopausal and it's hot and muggy out), go for it- the idea is to get out and be active- it doesn't matter what you're doing at this point, as long as you're moving!

On non-driving days, cook more than one meal and freeze it. No more 'finding whatever' in the fridge because a driving job ran late and you didn't have time to make dinner. 

Don't overbuy. An overstuffed fridge is almost as bad as an organized fridge with junk in it. What good is having six heads of lettuce if you're not willing to dig for it when it's lunchtime? (and yes, the Sam's Club Romaine lettuce has six heads in each package!)

Learn to be more flexible concerning your schedule. If you can't exercise in the morning, do it on the way home from a driving job, or with your hubby in the evening after dinner. Once a day, three times a week at least!


Being crazy busy is a good thing, for the most part. Idle hands (in my case) makes for snacking fingers. But there has to be a balance between busy and healthy eating that I just haven't mastered yet. Hey, it took me a few years just to get the portion part right, so this will take some time also! Just not years... I hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment