I'm Fighting Fat is about my journey weight loss! Come join me!

I'm fat. And I've been fat for far too long. It's time to start making changes, and this blog is to document those changes, along with a few tears, and even some laughs along the way.

This blog isn't about is going on a fad diet - in fact no 'diet' foods or pills are going to be used during this entire process! Any use of the word 'diet' in this blog will simply refer to foods being eaten, not any special plan or 'can or can't have' food lists.

I'll be eating a variety of foods, as unprocessed as possible. The plan is not to cut out or severely cut down, but to help my body (and mind) realize when I truly am hungry, and not depend on the clock to tell me when mealtimes are. Moderation will be the rule in both eating and exercising.

Join me on my journey, my trials, my failures and successes to discover a thinner me and possibly inspire you to lose weight too, without all the diet hype!

Monday, March 2, 2015

Week Seven: The Dear-God-I'm-Doing-Great-Again New eating Lifestyle

Life is good.

Got back on track Monday by reworking my schedule. I have a new online job (writing, voluntary, and great experience!) that allows me to work at any time I want. After fiddling around with time frames, the best time for me is right after getting up and dressed- so I'm starting around five in the morning. I don't get hungry until about nine o'clock, so I work until eight, do a little light cleaning (because I know the kids didn't clear and wipe off the counters last night), make breakfast, and relax for a bit.

After breakfast, I do a little straightening up before popping on Netflix and getting on the bike. I can manage to do thirty minutes now, and it really helps to be distracted! I like my quiet time too, but I've learned that I keep watching the timer on the bike too much when my eyeballs have nowhere to go. Sad but true.

Bringing in more veggies to snack on in my menu plan is always a good idea- especially when I don't feel like cooking them and can slice a nice crispy seedless cucumber to adorn my plate like chips. It's an easy-peasy side for leftovers that doesn't take a lot of effort (or cooking). I'm not making carby sides like last week if I can avoid it.

I need to find more clear broth soup recipes in my cookbook larder. I have tons of books, but do you think I'd crack one open? Noooo. The best part about getting the workday out of the way in the morning is that it leaves my afternoons totally open to things like menu planning and soup making.

I'll be off to the nutritionist in a day or two, and I can't wait to see how much I've lost! I can tell that my belly is smaller, and even my fingers seem slimmer than they were- my wedding ring is getting more loose anyway- and that's a good thing because I needed a blowtorch to get it off before this eating plan! Now it can come off with a few wiggles so I can clean it!

Just came back from the nutritionist- I lost 16 pounds! I was 335 before I met her, went on a weight loss roller-coaster ride to 321, and now I'm a svelte 305. WOOHOO! Break out the bikinis, I'm going swimming!

Okay, NOT. There's no way anyone is going to get me into a bikini- especially now in the dead of winter- but even if I was in the middle of an Arizona heat wave, I know better. I still have a long way to go, but it sure feels good to know on average I lost over two pounds a week!

Since I started this new eating lifestyle on MyFitnessPal, I've printed out each day to track my progress. Looking back, I was surprised to see that there were only two real bad days where I went over 2000 calories. It wasn't a binge, I wasn't starving, but I did learn that surprise buffet dinners and being really stressed isn't good for an emotional eater like me. For the most part, I was staying within the 1500 calorie mark- give or take a hundred or so calories-and it showed on the scale.

Thirty minutes on the exercise bike allows me a lot more freedom for mistakes- 400 calories worth, so I especially want to use the bike on days I know I'll be going out to eat and have no idea what the counts are until I get home. Not all restaurants have good choices, and the portions need to be handled before I start grazing. I've learned not to be embarrassed in asking for a take-home bag as soon as I am served my meal. Why I was embarrassed in the first place is beyond me!

One day i did 40 minutes on the bike. My legs weren't happy campers afterwards, but it's good to test limits once in a bit. I might try pushing the 40 minute mark once or twice in a week until the stamina kicks in.

Lessons Learned: 

Most restaurants do have calorie counts online if not on the menus themselves. It's good to plan ahead- especially when it less calories to have sirloin and veggies instead of chicken and dumplings!

Having a regular morning routine sets the tone for the entire rest of the day. I get more done in the mornings and am quite productive! I'm up at the crack of dark (4:30am) and by the time I'm done my morning routine, it's about 10:00-10:30. Job done, exercise done, breakfast eaten, and I'm ready to tackle the chaos.

Seven weeks of logging everything made it into a habit. Now I feel compelled to log my calories, and it isn't a drudgery anymore. In fact, sometimes it's fun to see how well I guesstimated my intake, and delightful to see when I'm under my count for the day and can treat myself if I want to! And yes, sometimes I do treat myself, but most times I don't- because I don't crave anything.

I love living a "Can eat anything" lifestyle. I'm calmer, and less likely to stress eat when I know I can have anything I want- the supermarket's the limit! In the past two months I've indulged in chocolate, jellybeans and potato chips- try to find those on anyones "no-no" diet plan!

By not overeating I have more energy and am happier because I don't feel bloated or stuffed like a turkey. Just remember in the beginning In was still eating the same foods, just too much of them! Healthy food can be detrimental too, if you eat too much of it. 


Want to know something else? Other than when I'm actually eating, I'm not focused on food anymore. I no longer dream of my next meal right after eating. No more "if I only had this to eat, I could calm down", or "I need chips to vent my frustrations". Why? Because I'm finding new things to focus on. Food doesn't have the stranglehold that it used to. Yes, I still falter, but it's never as devastating as it used to be- I just pick myself up and move on to a fresh new day.

And that, my Dear Readers, is awesome!

1 comment: